Today is the first day of a series of posts I will be doing on my top 10 must haves for new and expecting parents. I will be covering everything from my favorite maternity fashions to my hospital bag suggestions. Someone very close to me is expecting their first child and has asked me to put together these posts to help them prepare. Of course I know you want to know who is expecting and I have been holding this little secret in for a while now. I am super excited to share that my little sister is expecting her first child this spring! I can’t wait to snuggle my new little niece or nephew and I know my parents are just as excited to have another grandchild enter their home. So today for the first installment in my Top 10 Must Have series I bring you Top 10 Must Haves – Maternity Fashion.
My biggest recommendation when it comes to maternity clothes is COMFORT. When I was pregnant with Hazel I didn’t find myself purchases a lot of items from maternity stores, what I was purchasing were items a size up than I would normally purchase. That being said a few stores do carry a small run of maternity clothes, which is great for those items that you can’t get away with purchasing in a size larger. Topshop, Old Navy and H&M were my favorite places to go. Not only do these 3 stores carry a maternity line, but it is affordable. I found the maternity stores to be quite expensive, especially when you know you’re only getting so much wear out of the items. I picked up a pair of maternity jeans with the over the belly band from Old Navy for $15!!! Not only was I able to wear them my entire pregnancy but they were super comfy and looked just as good as the $200 maternity jeans I saw. Another great find at Old Navy was tank tops, I was lucky and got them while they were on sale for $5 each. While they were non maternity I found even wearing them right up to week 38 they didn’t stretch out that much and I was able to wear them through the summer, post pregnancy.
Here are a few of my favorite items out there right now, while they aren’t items I wore, a lot of them are very similar to what I did wear.
1. Aritzia – This Wilfred Free dress is not only super comfortable but it has lots of stretch, making it a perfect item from Week 1 -40.
2. Victoria Secret – There is nothing better than a comfortable pair of underwear, especially ones that sit under your belly.
3. H&M – A variety of basic long and short sleeve shirts are a must have, nothing cuter than a tight tshirt and a little belly with a pair of jeans.
4. Mint – Having one or two black and white maternity tank tops make layering easy while pregnant.
5. H&M – Affordable and comfortable, easily your go to jeans for daily wear.
6. Topshop – Black leggings, a must have for every pregnancy.
7. You Lingerie – Probably my #1 item, a comfy bra. When your pregnant its never to early to get a nursing bra as they have ample room for your growing chest and provide excellent coverage and support.
8. Topshop – When paired with black leggings and a nice necklace, tunics make a great outfit for a night out.
9. Old Navy – Hard to tell but this skirt has a roll over band, perfect to find under your growing belly. Maxi skirts were my #2 favorite item when I was pregnant.
10. H&M – My #3 go to when I was pregnant. a chic and comfy sweatshirt, paired with a tank and boyfriend maternity jeans and your set!
Stay tuned for next week, when I share my next Top 10 Must Haves!