Did you catch a peek of our Christmas cards from Minted the other day? (If you missed that post you can find it here.) Well that lovely family picture that’s on it, was taken by none other than myself! Yup, that’s right, I got to play photographer, taking our very own picture for our Christmas cards. I only did this for one reason and that is knowing when we were going to have our family mini session and that I wouldn’t have enough time to order cards and send them out by the time I got the edited pictures back. So I decided to solve that problem by dragging my cute little family to an off leash dog park and plopping them in the middle of a field. Yes, you read that right, an off leash dog park. Need I say more?
While we had a lot of fun dressing up in coordinating outfits and watching strangers stop and chat with us, I definitely learnt a few things.
- Dog parks are not the place to go for family photos (see above picture)
- You must have patience when dealing with a toddler (see above picture)
- Your toddler will step in poo and still remember it weeks later
- Let your toddler bring something with them, such as a favourite car or stuffed animal to have in the picture. I picked this tip up from Kailee Wright, see her tips here. (Isn’t her family gorgeous?)
- Don’t let your toddler bring a stuffed animal to a dog park, a random dog will take it, duh.
- Take a million and five pictures as chances are 1 will be good. (See Hazels scowl below)
- Make sure your hair isn’t covering your babies face (see below picture)
- Try and hide the remote as best as possible
- Keep all the “imperfect” photos as they provide the best laughs and will remind you of that crazy time you took your family to a dog park for pictures.
- Always, ALWAYS, pay a professional photographer to take your photos 🙂
PS. my hubby is a very very patient man, and I am very lucky to have him.