Sometimes I just don’t feel like being a mom. No I don’t mean I regret having a child or anything like that. I just don’t feel like being in charge, being responsible. Call it being lazy, call it whatever you want, there are just days, hours or even minutes where I just don’t feel like it. So I confess to you, some of the things I am guilty of when I’m in one of those moods.
1. There are morning when I hear that Hazel is making noise in her crib and I lay in bed and say to myself just five more minutes. She’s not screaming or upset just is awake and probably has a dirty bum, but I will “ignore” her and give myself 5, 10, sometimes 20 minutes before I go get her. Heck a few times she has fall back asleep -> goal achieved.
2. There are nights when I don’t want to cook her dinner. Please don’t take that the wrong way, I am not and will never starve my child. Chances are I’ve had a long day at work and the last thing I want to do is whip up some nutritious meal that covers all 4 food groups and half of it is going to be fed to the dog. Enter in your favourite frozen mini pizza, shes happy, I’m happy and all is right in the world. Some nights when I’m feeling like a kitchen goddess I’ll even thrown in some steamed broccoli.
3. Sometimes I will say I have to pee and go upstairs and lock myself in the bathroom, just to get a minute or two to myself. When Evan’s not home I pretty much always have an entourage in the bathroom or else an epic meltdown will ensue.
4. Some mornings I let Hazel eat Fruit Loops straight from the box. 100% irresponsible I know, but have you read the ingredients on some of those baby products? They are pretty much the same thing and it gives me 5 minutes to put together my lunch so I don’t starve.
5. To keep Hazel occupied while I am trying to get ready I ask her to bring me things. Yes it’s kinda mean as she will run back and forth from the bathroom to her room, emptying her sock draw in the process but at least I can put my mascara on without having a toddler tug at my legs.
I know I am not alone, so tell me, what are your mommy confessions?