Fall is here and we are officially on the countdown to
Halloween Christmas! While fall officially starts in September there is just something about October that screams (ha, how appropriate for Halloween) fall. I’m not sure if its because Thanksgiving (Canadian) and Halloween are this month and those are the two major fall events or if its because the days are now darker and shorter and the air is a lot crisper. Hello sweaters and boots! I’ve heard lots of jokes and seen a few memes on the internet that to women fall means three things.
Am I right? Or am I right? I won’t lie I have never had a Pumpkin Spice latté nor do I care to try one. The other day we saw a restaurant serving pumpkin spice turkey legs!! I mean what the heck? What is all the rage about pumpkin spice? Don’t get me wrong I love a good pumpkin pie but I am just a little confused as to why the world has such a huge addiction to pumpkin spice and where do they buy this spice? I have yet to come across any spices in my grocery store labelled “pumpkin spice”. 😉
So while I am over here pondering the worlds love affair with pumpkin spice, I will add one more item to your addiction, Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes…. with Cream Cheese Icing. That’s right, cream cheese icing. Break out the fat pants, fall is officially here and your bikini has already retreated to hiding, it’s eating season my friends. These cupcakes are just as delicious, if not more delicious than they sound. A little richer and heavier than your typical cupcake but oh so yummy! They make the perfect addition to an afternoon coffee (sans pumpkin spice, you can’t over do it) while curled up in the warm fall sun and enjoying a good book. Ok clearly I am dreaming, because I have kids and who has time for that? But anyways enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of pureed pumpkin (plain pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together pumpkin, eggs and oil until well blended.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over dry ingredients and stir together until just mixed.
- Spoon batter into lined cupcake tray, filling and flattening each one.
- Bake in oven approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Using a mixer, mix together cream cheese and butter until well creamed.
- Mix in vanilla
- Slowly add in icing sugar, one cup at a time.
- Mix until well blended.
- Icing should be thick.
- Pipe (or spread) onto cupcakes. Be generous, its yummy!