Last week my husband called me during his morning coffee break. He told me that he wanted to cook dinner that night. Say what? He was going to stop at the store on the way home, pick up a few things he knew we needed and wanted to try out a recipe he had seen in the newspaper that morning. Yes, you read that right. After spending all day working and being out of the house at 5:30 am, my husband was going to come home from work and make dinner for us! Now most nights I do my best to have dinner made for us, some days this just doesn’t happen, depending on how the kids are that day and Evan usually tidies up after the kids are in bed. So I was excited to be able to grab a glass of wine and relax with the kids while he prepared dinner for us. So with out further ado, here is what he created, and might I add, it was delicious!
Fresh Tomato Spaghetti
(as seen in the Vancouver Metro)
1/4 Olive Oil
2 cloves minced garlic
500 g pack of whole wheat spaghetti
3 TBSP Red wine vinegar
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped and washed
1 head of arugula, washed and rough chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- Put a big pot of salted water on to boil
- In a saute pan, bring the olive oil t low-medium heat
- Add minced garlic and allow to cook, but not brown. This will only take a few minutes, take the pan off the heat.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Scoop out a cup of water from the pot before draining. The starchy water is great way to loosen up a too thick sauce.
- Drain your noodles well before tossing them back in the pot. Add your garlic infused oil and vinegar and toss well until all coated. Now add your tomatoes and toss again. Pour in your cooking liquid, little by little, until sauce has reached desired consistency.
- Throw in the arugula and give it another good mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
As you can see by ours, we added some sautéed shrimp to ours. It was a nice and refreshing pasta dish. The perfect dish as we transition into warmer weather.